- June 21, 2021
- Posted by: Balram Kishan
- Category: Canada Immigration
The government of Canada has launched a new public policy in the recent past that will help recent graduates of Hong Kong to apply for an open work permit of Canada. Candidates may apply for this open work permit from outside of Canada. The permit will be issued for a maximum duration of 3 years. Conditions that a candidate must meet:
- Candidates must possess a valid passport issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or the United Kingdom to a British National Overseas to be eligible under this program.
- Must meet the following education requirements:
Education requirements for post-secondary studies
You must have graduated no more than 5 years before you apply for this open work permit, with one of the following:
- a degree (for example, bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate) from a designated post-secondary learning institution in Canada or institution abroad
- a diploma for a minimum 2-year program from a designated post-secondary learning institution in Canada or an institution abroad
Education requirements for graduate and post-graduate studies Effective – May 17, 2021
You must hold a graduate or post-graduate credential (for example, a post-graduate diploma) that you received no more than 5 years before you apply for this open work permit.
The credential must be for a program:
- that is a minimum of 1 year
- that requires a post-secondary degree or diploma, which you completed no more than 5 years before you started the post-graduate program
- at one of the following:
- a designated learning institution in Canada or
- an institution abroad
Pathway to PR for Hong Kong Residents
Another policy has been launched after the above one that allows the Hong Kong citizens with eligible education qualifications from inside Canada or 1-year work experience from inside Canada to apply for Canada PR. This specific policy for issuing is effective from June 1, 2021, to August 31, 2026.
Following both the above pathways, an eligible Hong Kong resident can enter Canada on work permit and apply for PR after he obtains the required work experience.
Contact us for more information about these programs and submit your applications.